Students Teaching Alcohol & Other Drug Responsibility encouraged students to drink safely in moderation this Halloween weekend by means of a Haunted House of HEaLLth venue hosted on campus yesterday.

S.T.A.R. invited students to trick-or-treat at the event, which was held on the lawn across from Career Services as a collaborative effort between various campus organizations. The event encouraged students to drink in moderation and warned men about drinking more than four alcoholic beverages and women more than three drinks in a short period of time.

S.T.A.R. Internal Coordinator Jackie Kadin, a fourth-year psychology major, said providing students with information on drinking safely is the most efficient way of keeping Isla Vista safe during Halloween.

“We want people to know their limits so they don’t suffer the negative consequences of drinking,” Kadin said.

S.T.A.R. advisor Michael Takahara said he hopes the event encouraged students to be safe during Halloween.

“The main goal is to educate students on alcohol poisoning response, reducing blackouts and not drawing negative attention to the police,” Takahara said.

If stopped by the police, S.T.A.R.’s event chair Emily Williams, a fourth-year political science and history major, said, students should act rationally.

“Be respectful and act calmly,” Williams said. “The police will most likely react to you better if you respect them.”

S.T.A.R. encourages all students to watch for alcohol poisoning this Halloween and not be afraid to call 9-1-1. The S.T.A.R. affiliates also had clearly posted directions for what to do if someone appears to have alcohol poisoning: First, call 9-1-1 immediately. Second, turn the person on their side to prevent choking while vomiting. Third, stay calm.

For more information from S.T.A.R., follow their Facebook page “UCSB S.T.A.R.” or call (805) 893-3371 and ask for an Alcohol & Drug Program Counselor.