No Age: Losing Feeling EP

No Age returns to smaller releases after flirtation and romance, brought singer-its last two projects have produced LPs. The Losing Feeling EP – due out Oct. 6 – is a bit of a departure for the band, which abandons the fuzzed-out punk rock of Nouns and begins to experiment more with tape loops. Heck, on the second track, “Genie,” I can even hear every note guitarist Randy Randall is playing, not just when he decides that he wants me to at the end of the song. However, that track also descends into tape-generated discord for the last few seconds.

“Aim at the Airport” is another song ing lyrics that manage to break through to composed almost entirely of tape loops. the heart and soul of humanity as only folk Here, No Age does its best impression music can. While Hansard’s voice brings of Sebadoh and Yo La Tengo. “You’re a an unpretentious, gruff sound to the music, Target” returns to much more familiar ter-Irglová’s unfaltering soprano soars high in ritory, with a chugging riff that would the background, giving many of the songs make Dinosaur Jr. proud, combined with an uncanny depth and soulfulness. Their the occasional guitar squeal here and there. calming, poignant music is inspired by life Off the entire EP, “You’re a Target” comes experiences and feelings that are universally closest to the band’s older work. But isn’t experienced by all, transcending both time that what you hope for out of a new band? and culture. I love it when they include Experimentation and growth within their instruments like the deep, soothing violin, field of creativity without a lapse in quality cello solos and exotic balalaika, thrumming is pretty much all you can safely ask for, and in minor keys, which reference Irglová’s No Age delivers that here in spades.

Michael Hafford

The Swell Season: Strict Joy

International film and music aficionados, rejoice! The 2007 hit indie flick, “Once,” a story of two musicians in Dublin whose passion for songwriting arouses unseemly flirtation and romance, brought singer-songwriters Glen Hansard of Ireland and Marketa Irglova of the Czech Republic to the forefront of the indie/folk music scene. Glen Hansard (of Irish band The Frames) and Marketa Irglova (a classically-trained pianist and vocalist) together create the band The Swell Season, and have crafted an equally moving follow-up album, Strict Joy. The duo’s music combines contemplative, melodical piano scores, a bounty of strings and acoustic guitars with passionate, pleading lyrics that manage to break through to the heart and soul of humanity as only folk music can. While Hansard’s voice brings an unpretentious, gruff sound to the music, Irglova’s unfaltering soprano soars high in the background, giving many of the songs an uncanny depth and soulfulness. Their calming, poignant music is inspired by life experiences and feelings that are universally experienced by all, transcending both time and culture. I love it when they include instruments like the deep, soothing violin, cello solos and exotic balalaika, thrumming in minor keys, which reference Irglova’s Eastern European heritage. With such passion and sentiment in their work, Strict Joy is perfect for checking out of life for a little while and taking time to enjoy the small things and quiet moments we so often overlook in our hectic lives.

— Nicole Sands