“Fanboys” is the story of five Star Wars fanatics who receive the news that one of them has been diagnosed with cancer and will more than likely not make it for the release of “Star Wars: Episode I.” The five fans decide to break into George Lucas’ Skywalker Ranch in hopes to steal a copy of the then unreleased “Episode I,” so that they can watch it with their dying friend.

The film received a standing ovation upon its first screening and it was picked up by the Weinstein Company for mass distribution. The Weinstein Company though the cancer plot was too intense so they hired a new director to re-shoot some scenes and remake the film. The end result was a vulgar, mediocre, base-level comedy that was slammed by critics and fans of the original alike. After much back and forth arguing, the Weinstein Company agreed to re-hire the original director to re-cut the film. But with the former controversy, the film has been put on extremely limited release, basically going straight to video.

Magic Lantern has been able to book “Fanboys” in its original glory to be shown this Sunday May 17th at 7 p.m. and 10 p.m. This will be the only chance to ever see this film in theaters. Magic Lantern will be celebrating the event with a costume contest, Lightsaber Fighting Tournament and trivia contest with prizes to be given out to winners. There will also be baked goods, popcorn, and candy for sale. So put your kid hat on, strap on your lightsaber, and go see a hilariously funny movie, come be a Fan!

The film has appearances by Seth Rogan, Carrie Fisher (Princess Leia), William Shatner, and a host of other sci-fi idols.