When I came to UCSB I knew that this would be the perfect place to spend the next four years of my life. There is just one problem that I see throughout all the great things at this school, which happens to be the root of all evil: money.

Everyone keeps talking about how shitty our economy is, but looking at the spending habits of the students here, I would have never guessed that we are in a recession. Almost all kids I talk to say their parents handle all of their bills and provide them with plenty of spending money. Does anyone else see a problem with this?

Don’t get me wrong, I would be stoked if everything in my life were paid for, but I’d know that this lifestyle would come back to haunt me in the future. I have lots of things to pay for, including school, and I recently got laid off. This isn’t a sob story — just my background to provide a basis for my argument. My main point is that if Mommy and Daddy give you everything on a silver platter, and you don’t have any responsibility regarding money, how the hell are you going to survive as an adult on your own? I know kids here that have never had a job, never paid for anything in their entire lives, who feel confident that they are going to graduate from college and land a great career right off the bat. Let’s be real: Unless your parents have a job lined up for you through some connections, your ass is going to have to find a job and work your way up before you start making real money. I have spoken with plenty of employers whose biggest annoyance is cocky college graduates who think they’re the shit but really don’t know anything about the working world.

I’m not saying that just because I have had jobs and pay for most of the things in my life that I am superior to anyone. I just think that because I have had to work for things, I have a better appreciation for money, and I will be better prepared for life in the working world. Just because I have to pay for college doesn’t mean that everyone should have to. I’m not trying to upset anyone; I just think that students at this school who are in my situation don’t seem to be represented. Just take a look at how hard your parents work for their money and maybe you’ll understand that life after your ocean side house on Del Playa Drive may be a little different than you expect.