A fire torched parts of the UCSB Chabad House yesterday, leaving the rabbi’s residence with extensive damage.
According to Capt. Eli Iskow of the Santa Barbara Fire Dept., the fire began at noon in a bedroom at 779 Camino Pescadero – the new UCSB Chabad House, a local Orthodox Jewish religious center. Parts of the first and second floors were completely scorched by the flames.
“The mother started screaming, ‘the house is on fire!’ and everyone got out in a hurry,” Iskow said. “Smoke alarms had a great deal to do with them getting out in time.”
Iskow said the blaze caused major damage to the structure – one room was entirely charred and most of the possessions throughout the house were ruined by smoke.
Initial reports linked the blaze to a candle, Iskow said.