The Associated Students Legislative Council discussed a proposed county party ordinance as well as the university’s budget at last night’s meeting.

According to External Vice President of Local Affairs Zekee Silos, the Social Host Ordinance will make it illegal to consume alcohol in one’s home in the presence of five or more people if someone underage is among them. The ordinance’s official reading will take place at a public hearing at the Santa Barbara County Board of Supervisors on Nov. 4.

Silos said a household is considered to be throwing a party if five or more people are present. Under this proposed ordinance, this would cause everyone to be liable if anyone under the age of 21 is in attendance.

“Five or more people is considered an assemblage,” Silos said. “If someone underage is present and someone in the house is drinking, everyone on the lease will receive a violation – even if they’re not present at the time.”

Silos said the law is not limited to just those listed on the lease either – party organizers and partygoers could also be fined.

Liz Buda, a fourth-year environmental studies major, said the ordinance has a lot of loopholes.

“It doesn’t seem like a real lawyer wrote this,” Buda said. “Nothing is really defined. The language is vague and it’s overall really unclear.”

Meanwhile, A.S. President J.P. Primeau discussed potential measures that the campus may take regarding student lock-in fees in order to cope with upcoming budgetary issues. Currently, Primeau said, there is a proposal to tax such campus-based fees.

“It defeats the purpose of having referenda if it’s going to be taxed anyway,” Primeau said.

On-campus Representative Ashley Day said council members should write a resolution dictating their opinions on the fees.

“We need to write a resolution against taxing student fees,” Day said. “This needs to get done ASAP so nothing gets decided without them at least hearing our voice.”

The council also tabled a resolution that would give students a vote on the Undergraduate Council, which sets standards and policies regarding undergraduate education.

Rep-at-large Paula Reever said it was crucial for students to be able to affect the council’s decisions.

“This is one thing we had trouble with last year,” Reever said. “It was a huge issue when we were dealing with the [Minimum Cumulative Progress] and we didn’t have a vote. So it’s vital to get a student vote now.”