On Friday, the UC Police Dept. received reports of a large Asian male exhibiting bizarre behavior, resulting in the dispatch of a campus wide alert.

The police identified Sang Yi as a suspicious person, following several calls from concerned individuals. Callers claimed that the 27 year-old was acting strangely and harassing them with disjointed questions.

According to a police press release, the situation then escalated into a confrontation involving a cell phone. No one was injured.

Police subsequently determined Yi to be a threat to himself and others and issued a warning on the UCSB Emergency Alert System.

However, hours after the alert was circulated, Yi was identified by a student and promptly detained by campus police. After Yi was taken into custody, the alert was canceled.

The police press release described the subject as a large Asian man, between 5’10” and 6′ tall and 225 lbs., with black hair and brown eyes last seen wearing blue jeans, a white collared shirt and a black blazer.

All students registered in the recently implemented UCSB Alert system database received a cautionary e-mail and text message notifying them of the situation at around 5 p.m. Friday evening. Students can register for UCSB Alert at http://alert.ucsb.edu.

For more information, visit www.police.ucsb.edu or call the UCPD at (805) 893-3446.