Surfers and fashion lovers alike will strut their stuff downtown as the Santa Barbara Surfrider Foundation puts on its first annual Martinis & Bikinis fashion show and cocktail party to help protect and preserve the Gaviota Coast.

Saturday night’s event at the Santa Barbara Contemporary Arts Forum will include a fashion show, a martini bar, a raffle and a silent auction. The Surfrider Foundation’s event aims to raise funds to protect the Naples region of the Gaviota Coast from development.

The Gaviota Coast, a 38-mile stretch of coastline north of Goleta, contains 50 percent of the remaining undeveloped coastline in Southern California. Recently, an Orange County developer proposed the Naples, or Santa Barbara Ranch, development project, which would result in the construction of over 50 estate-sized structures along the narrow stretch of coast. Those in opposition to the project fear the environmental and aesthetic consequences associated with the development.

Santa Barbara Surfrider Chapter Chairman Scott Bull said he wants to use the evening to educate attendees about the Gaviota Coast’s need for preservation.

“The whole purpose of the event is to raise much needed funding in order to protect the rural character of the Gaviota Coast and, in particular, Naples, which is threatened by a large-scale development,” Bull said.

The Surfrider Foundation plans to use the proceeds from the benefit to pay for legal fees and expert analysis concerning the Gaviota Coast situation. In addition, proceeds will go toward community outreach and education programs.

While this is the first Martinis & Bikinis benefit hosted by the Surfrider Foundation, Bull said he hopes the soiree will kick off an annual tradition of fashionable fundraising.

“This is going to be a signature annual fundraiser for the Santa Barbara Chapter of the Surfrider Foundation,” he said.

The benefit is the closing reception for the Glass Love arts exhibition at the Contemporary Arts Forum. Glass Love features multimedia art from local, national and international artists focusing on the theme of surf culture.

CAF Communications and Development Associate Kami Shallenberger said she is happy that the SB Surfrider Chapter is a sponsor of the exhibition, which features the work of artists sympathetic to the group’s cause.

“They’re all about conserving the coast, and all the artists in the exhibition agree with the goals of the Surfrider Foundation,” Shallenberger said. “They’re all working towards the same goal.”

The fashion show will include surf style and beachwear attire donated by Feisty Swimwear, The Beach House, Truman & Grace, The Bikini Factory and many more. Semiprofessional male and female models from Santa Barbara, Los Angeles and New York will present the outfits.

Tickets can be bought in advance for $25 at J7 Surf, Surf Country, Folk Mote Music or online at www.surfrider.org/santabarbara/PagesMain/mbtickets.html. A limited number of tickets are available at the door for $30 starting at 6:45 for the 7 p.m. show.