Editor, Daily Nexus,

U.S. intervention in foreign affairs is now at a frightening level. I am not an isolationist – I think this country needs an enormous dose of free-trade. I support the troops – I just don’t support administrations that lie or falsify their wars. While the classic “we saved Europe’s ass in WWII!” is always a standby, does anybody really like the guy at the party who’s like, “Remember that one beer-pong shot I made like 65 years ago and totally saved the day?”

We often hear that the United Nations does not get anything done and that nobody takes it seriously anyway. This is very true, proved by our actions leading up to the start of “Operation Iraqi Freedom” – or as I like to call it: “Operation Give Money to Halliburton and Its Stockholders.” Ignoring the rulings of the U.N. and then berating them for not getting anything done doesn’t really make sense, does it?

And the World Trade Organization? Who needs it? Why should the U.S. engage in agreements with other countries that could potentially hurt U.S. interests? Let’s answer all of these questions at once.

Sit and think: How do you make friends? Do you try to agree on things, work together, build alliances? Sometimes you have to compromise. The U.S. has become the friend that always wants their own way for the whole group, not realizing or caring the others don’t see eye to eye with them. Eventually that friend is dropped from the group, as we see happening today.

Or should you insult them, threaten them, ignore them or overrule them? American intervention over the last century has not been as good as Jeff Dulgar (“U.S. Intervention Vital for World Peace,” Daily Nexus, Oct. 24) would have you believe. Let’s not forget our noble foreign interventions like Vietnam, Somalia or our current intervention in Iraq.

There will always be arguments for and against intervention in other countries. I just wish our country realized this doesn’t have to mean military intervention. Have we forgotten how to talk to each other? Or maybe it’s that we’re no longer listening.