Two women were killed in an alleged drunk driving incident early Sunday morning in Montecito after the vehicle they were in plunged off the San Ysidro overpass.

At around 2:15 a.m., Palo Alto resident Beau James Robertson was driving his 2002 Chevrolet Camaro eastbound on North Jameson Lane approaching San Ysidro Road with two passengers, a 21-year-old resident of Palo Alto and a 26-year-old resident of Santa Clara. According to a press release from the California Highway Patrol, 29-year-old Robertson attempted a right turn onto San Ysidro Road too quickly.

Authorities have alleged that Robertson drove under the influence of alcohol during the incident.

Robertson lost control of his car and drove onto the curb and through the metal railing of the overpass. The Camaro landed on its right side on southbound Highway 101. According to the press release, a 1996 Honda sedan that was traveling down the left lane of the highway struck the Camaro, causing the Camaro to somersault and come to a rest in the center lane.

The passengers of the Camaro – whose names will remain private until their families receive notifications of their deaths – were both seated on the right side of the car. As the car rolled over on the highway, they were ejected out of the windows. Both women were pronounced dead on the scene.

Robertson was transferred to Santa Barbara Cottage Hospital where he remains in critical condition, suffering from potentially fatal head and internal injuries. Upon his release from the hospital, Robertson will face two felony counts for driving under the influence and gross vehicular manslaughter, according to the press release.

The driver of the Honda, 33-year-old Marina De Alfaro Duarte of Ventura, was transported to Cottage Hospital with minor injuries. Her 11-year-old daughter, Yurithzy Alfaro, and 8-year-old nephew, Pilar Gomez, were also taken to the hospital for complaints of pain. Her 34-year-old husband, Enrique Alfaro, and 14-year-old son, Daniel Alfaro, suffered from minor cuts and were released to a relative at the scene.

According to the press release, southbound lanes of Highway 101 were closed for five hours after the accident, and reopened at approximately 8 a.m. A temporary guardrail was put up in place of the damaged metal guardrail on the San Ysidro overpass, where traffic was detoured during the closure.