A memorial service for Anne Napier, a former UCSB student killed last Friday after she was hit by a car, will take place today at the Montecito Country Club.

Napier graduated in the spring of 2006 with degrees in business economics and art history. She grew up in Oceanside, Calif. and was a resident of Santa Barbara at the time of the incident. Friends of Napier are holding a memorial service at 2 p.m. today at the country club, which is located at 920 Summit Rd. in Santa Barbara. The service is open to the public.

Napier, 23, was walking along Cliff Drive near Santa Barbara City College last Friday at around 10 p.m. when 59-year-old Robert Ernest Anderson struck her in his 1986 Volvo station wagon. Santa Barbara Police Dept. officers found Napier lying in the roadway when they arrived at the scene.

Napier was transported to Cottage Hospital and pronounced dead upon reaching the hospital, reportedly from head trauma.

At the time of the incident, Napier was walking west on Cliff Drive after spending the evening at the Brewhouse on Montecito Street. Police reports indicate that Anderson had also patronized the Brewhouse earlier in the evening before he crashed his car into Napier.

Anderson was booked into the Santa Barbara County Jail on suspicion of driving under the influence, and is currently under investigation. Meanwhile, authorities are examining Napier’s remains in order to determine whether or not her decision to step off Cliff Drive was influenced by alcohol as well.