In my two years serving as a Resident Assistant in San Nicolas and Francisco Torres South, I have given advice about classes to take, mediated discussions between roommates, provided a sympathetic ear when my residents have problems with partners and friends, engaged in deep philosophical 3 a.m. conversations and tried to build a safe and positive community through programs and dialogue. I take great pride in what I do, and I am confident my coworkers do too.

Because of this, I read Christian McCusker’s opinion piece (“RHA Unjustly Hassles Residents,” Daily Nexus, Feb. 28) with great concern. I do not know any RA who took the job so they could write up residents. In fact, this is my least favorite part of my job. However, when I see, hear or smell a policy violation, I am forced to document it. Mr. McCusker seems to believe that RAs have the time or the desire to go through the timely process of documentation all for a for false accusation. He may have that free time, but we certainly don’t.

Additionally, I don’t know if the San Nicolas or San Miguel RAs are skilled in the field of sprinkler repair, but I think it’s safe to say there is not much we can do about a broken sprinkler, though I’m sure it must have been frustrating for all the residents and staff who live there. Finally, to address his concern about the potentially dehumanizing effect of being known in documentations as “Resident McCusker,” this is a procedure to ensure uniformity, accuracy, clarity and professionalism. During the unfortunate times when I document residents, I become Resident Assistant Nieblas. I, too, don’t enjoy this title. I prefer to be known as Jessie, a person who genuinely enjoys her job and the interactions I can have with my residents.