The Tent City Jam Fest protestors marched and members of the greek system and community partied alongside them yesterday to show support for the Cedarwood eviction case and UC service workers.

The group marched on Cheadle Hall for the second time within two weeks this afternoon in order to keep tabs on the administration’s response to their demands: increased pay for service workers and support of a Just Cause Eviction Ordinance in Santa Barbara County. The Tent City group also spent the night “partying,” chanting slogans, listening to music and eating food provided by local companies.

According to fourth-year Chicana and Chicano studies major Jeronimo Saldana, the group visited UCSB’s fraternities, sororities and co-op residences to ask them to attend the event.

“Tonight we’re expecting it to be ridiculous,” Saldana said. “[Former A.S. president and UCSB graduate] Cervin [Morris] had the idea of bringing the community. Yesterday we went to all the fraternities and sororities. The majority seemed really enthusiastic.”

Only two people from the Greek system made it to last night’s rally. Second-year global studies major Paige Libenberg said she came because she believes in the cause.

“It’s something I really believe in,” Liebenberg said. “It’s the right thing to do.”

In response to the group’s demands for financial assistance for the Cedarwood families, the university announced Friday, Oct. 20 that it had created a bank account at Santa Barbara Bank and Trust to accept private donations.

According to fourth-year psychology major Jamison Heldrich, the protesters asked the administration about the account yesterday in Cheadle Hall. However, because Chancellor Henry T. Yang was out of town, they were unable to ascertain the amount.

“Chancellor Yang was not there and they did not know the exact figures,” Heldrich said.

The Cedarwood tenants have a court date set for today, in which they will be assigned a trial date.

The Tent City group has also been in collaboration with UCSB service workers in asking the university that they receive a raise in pay.

American Federation of State County and Municipal Employees union representative Claude Piller claimed that the 2006-07 state budget had set aside $3.2 million for worker pay raises at the school. In actuality, the state legislature denied that union’s request for funds.

Saldana said the protesters were in the process of speaking to students at UC Irvine and UC Santa Cruz to see if they would set up tent cities in solidarity at their campuses.