While it usually serves as a support system for studying students, Davidson Library is seeking some support for itself today at the first Friends of the UCSB Library Book sale this year.

From 8:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., the library will hold a book sale to benefit the library’s Special Collection – an assortment of unique and rare literary works and art pieces, as well as antique photographs, manuscripts, recordings and maps. Hosted by the Friends of the UCSB Library, the sale is located within the 24-hour study room on the library’s first floor.

Michelle Martinez, assistant of library development and Friends of the UCSB Library secretary, said the majority of items available for purchase at the event will be books donated by community members to the Friends of the UCSB Library. The organization’s mission is to provide involvement opportunities to locals and to encourage the library’s growth as an institution.

Graduating seniors have also donated books, which Martinez said contributes to the wide variety of literature available. Other miscellaneous items, including publications, music, films, maps and other media, will be available for purchase.

“There are even old records in there,” Martinez said. “There will be thousands of books.”

Martinez said the books being sold at the event range in price from $.50 to $2, and she expects to raise between $700 and $1,000.

Martinez said the Special Collection contains a wealth of knowledge that is easily accessible to students.

“The Special Collection has a wide variety of things,” Martinez said. “Everything from 4,000-year-old clay tablets to medieval manuscripts to papers from current Nobel laureates. Just about anything rare.”

Patrick Dawson, acting associate university librarian for information and research service, said the Friends of the UCSB Library typically donates about $20,000 per year to the library from book sales and membership fees. The Special Collection especially needs such funds, as it relies heavily on private donations and gifts for maintenance and growth purposes.

“We have rare books, old books, small printer publications, book art, rare and wonderful things,” Dawson said. “We also have primary source documents for people who are doing research. The Collection is open to anyone that wants to come in; the only restriction is that you cannot check anything out, it is all library use material.”