One UCSB student is doing his part to immortalize Isla Vista’s unique culture by bringing IVTV back to local public access stations.

IVTV, which stopped airing a few years ago, is up and running again under the supervision of senior Matt Anderson. Anderson debuted his 2005 IVTV Halloween episode last Sunday on channels 17 and 21, and will have it air a few more times until Oct. 15. Airing dates and more information can be found at the show’s MySpace page, www.myspace.com/ivtv.

Like its predecessor, the new IVTV documents I.V. residents, their parties and antics. For the Halloween episode, Anderson filmed drunken conversations, pipe toking, crazy costumes and a few naked breasts.

Anderson, a comparative literature and Spanish major, said the public access station requires a verbal and visual warning before showing any questionable content.

“We probably would have put one on there anyways just in good taste,” Anderson said.

He said the show currently airing is a test-run of a DVD he plans to create for retail.

“We choose our clips based on humor and public appeal,” Anderson said. “Right now we’re trying to screen what we put together for feedback.”

Anderson said the DVD will be about half an hour in length, including outtakes and bonus clips. The DVD will cost $4.99 and will be available for purchase in local businesses a week before this Halloween.

IVTV host Byron Roach, a former Santa Barbara City College student, said the producers of IVTV are looking to film “sexy ladies” and outrageous costumes for this year’s Halloween special.

“We look for attractive co-eds,” Roach said. “We look for characters that are recognizable by our target audience.”

To blend in with their subjects, Roach said IVTV’s creators plan to film up and down Del Playa Drive wearing absurd costumes.

“I’m leaning towards power wheels or something ridiculous, it’ll be a surprise,” Roach said.

Anderson said his main concern with producing IVTV is keeping in line with legal restrictions. So far, Roach said, there have not been any legal problems, but the I.V. Foot Patrol has not always been friendly to the filmmakers.

“Cops have pulled us aside, one actually threatened us,” Roach said. “We want to keep peace with the Foot Patrol. The last thing anyone wants is an angry cop.”

Hap Freund, executive director of the Santa Barbara Channels, said anyone who makes a program for the cable access show is responsible for copywriting his or her own material, and the station depends on the creators to edit for risky content.

“I treat IVTV like every other production,” Freund said. “They can produce and bring us any content they want as long as they take responsibility and go through the steps, and these guys did.”

Though some people may find the program offensive, Anderson said, the former makers of IVTV did not censor their show, and he does not want to either. While he does not want to censor material, Anderson said his version will not be as vulgar as the original IVTV.

“I definitely don’t care what the university thinks,” Anderson said. “I’m just trying to portray I.V. in a natural way.”

Chancellor Henry T. Yang said IVTV is not a good representation of I.V. life.

“I have not seen IVTV, although I have heard about it,” Yang said. “Based on what I have heard, I do not think it provides an accurate reflection of our outstanding students and the wide range of activities they engage in academically, socially and in service to our community.”

“I think it tries to sensationalize and exploit our students by focusing on a very narrow slice of student life. Also, the filming that is done on the streets of Isla Vista leaves the impression that everyone depicted is a UCSB student, whereas we know that many of the people out and about in Isla Vista on Friday and Saturday nights are not our students.”

Anderson said he hopes to produce one IVTV special per quarter. The next episode after Halloween will feature events from last school year, and will have local bands playing on the soundtrack.

“We like to keep a local flavor in the show,” Roach said. “We’re encouraging all musicians to send us tracks.”

Anderson said he hopes IVTV will continue after he graduates and become a permanent I.V. fixture.

“Hopefully, I’ll pass the torch on,” Anderson said.