A UCSB student was arrested early Saturday morning on felony grand theft charges for attempting to steal a Community Service Officer’s bicycle.

UC Police Dept. officers arrested 22-year-old Steven Colburn at 3:20 a.m. on May 20 after two CSOs reported to dispatch that Colburn was in the process of stealing one of their bikes, which were parked in front of the San Rafael Hall main desk. After calling dispatch, the CSOs followed Colburn from San Rafael Hall to Ocean Road near the Pardall tunnel, UCPD Lt. Cathy Farley said.

Colburn was charged with felony grand theft because the monetary value of the CSO bike plus the attached equipment was over $400.

Because CSO officers do not have the authority to take individuals into custody, they called the police department, who intercepted Colburn on Ocean Road about 20 minutes after he had stolen the bicycle. The CSO officers followed inconspicuously behind Colburn until the police officers arrived, Farley said.

In addition to grand theft charges, Farley said Colburn was booked at the Santa Barbara County Jail for public intoxication.

“He was definitely intoxicated,” Farley said.

Farley said she did not know whether Colburn has been released yet, or at what amount his bail has been set.

Colburn was accompanied by one male and two females, who were witnesses to the crime, Farley said. However, these individuals were not arrested.