Officers from the I.V. Foot Patrol are currently investigating a sexual assault that occurred while the unidentified victim was unconscious in Isla Vista on Saturday night.

Officers are still investigating the incident, IVFP Senior Deputy Mark Williams said. He said the police cannot release any additional personal details about the victim, and he said he does not know the exact time and location of the rape. IVFP Cpl. Zak Ayala said the incident occurred on the 6500 block of Del Playa Drive, and the victim was not conscious of the sexual assault as it occurred.

Williams said the IVFP is currently questioning potential suspects about the incident, and is trying to catch the perpetrator while protecting the victim from further harm.

“I can’t tell you anything about the victim at this point, just for the victim’s safety,” Williams said.

According to the Santa Barbara Rape Crisis Center’s website, the center responds to approximately 500 cases of rape and sexual assault each year.

The 2004 Clery Report – an annual list of statistics detailing the numbers and types of crimes reported each year on college campuses that receive federal funds and in the communities around them – stated that the number of total forcible sexual offenses at UCSB rose from nine to 13 between 2003-04 and 2004-05.