Students and local residents will lounge on the grass in Anisq’ Oyo’ Park this Saturday to celebrate Earth Day 2006, one temporary tattoo and Capoeira lesson at a time.

More than 1,500 students and Isla Vista residents are expected to attend the festival, titled, “Revolution: Let the Knowledge Grow,” which will feature eight bands, martial arts and yoga demonstrations, several local vendors and henna tattoos. Associated Students Environmental Affairs Board, and the Isla Vista Recreation and Park District are co-sponsoring the festival, which runs from noon until 8:00 p.m.

Festival co-coordinator Lauren Hartman, a third-year English major, said she wants the event to be educational and fun at the same time.

“We are hoping to make people aware of environmental issues while also being entertained outdoors with music, dance and other festivities,” Hartman said.

Hartman said the lineup of local performers includes Rebelution, Boombox Orchestra, Hoagland Conspiracy, Terra Naomi, the Atma, Silent Wei, and Blue Turtle Seduction. In addition to music, there will be designated areas for free yoga lessons and Capoeira – a centuries-old Afro-Brazilian martial arts technique used for strength training.

Hartman said the event’s coordinators obtained an alcohol permit for the event, but beer vendors and kegs are not allowed on the park grounds.

I.V. Foot Patrol officers will be patrolling throughout the event, IVFP Lt. Sol Linver said, though no extra officers will be brought on.

Roderick Nash, UCSB professor emeritus and founder of the UCSB Environmental Science Dept., is scheduled to speak at 3 p.m. Festival co-coordinator Alessandra Baer, a second-year business economics major, said Nash is considered one of the nation’s top wilderness historians.

Event coordinators are hoping to improve the organization and structure of previous Earth Day events while maintaining the festival’s atmosphere, Hartman said.

New to this year’s celebration will be a lost and found area, an information kiosk and additional safety managers, Hartman said. She said she thinks the festival will be enjoyable for a variety of local residents.

“It is a great event that draws many different types of people and includes all ages, students and non-students alike,” Hartman said.

Co-coordinator Michelle Jagelka, a fourth-year political science major, said the festival will feature an area for children during the early afternoon. She said the children’s area is designed to attract local families and will include activities pertaining to the environment, such as arts and crafts using recyclable materials.

Baer said the event provides an opportunity for locals to reflect on the earth’s resources and its beauty.

“The earth is a wonderful place and it’s worth our time to appreciate it,” Baer said.