The UCSB men’s swimming team completed a weekend sweep on the road against Davis and Pacific, while the women’s squad lost both of its northern meets.

While Santa Barbara suffered a 32-point deficit against Davis because it does not have a diving team, the men were able to overcome the disadvantage to win 120-117 Friday and 144.5-117.5 against Pacific on Saturday.

However, the women could not pull out a win, suffering a 100.5-136.5 loss to the Aggies and a 103-157 loss to the Tigers.

“Each team presented us with a really good challenge,” UCSB Head Coach Gregg Wilson said. “I was proud that the men overcame the 32 points, while the women … didn’t rise to the occasion, and you have to do that.”

On Friday, the Gaucho women (4-5 overall, 0-1 in the Big West) won the 400-meter medley relay and two individual races, but could not pull out a win against Davis. The men (4-6 overall, 1-0 Big West) swept both the 400-medley relay and the 400-freestyle relay.

The team of freshmen, Jessica Cruzat, Erin Yamamoto, Nadia Dwidar and Kaitlin Freeman finished the race with a 3:50.39 mark, while Cruzat took an individual first place in the 200 backstroke (2:04.78) later in the day.

“Erin has been continuing to be a huge factor in our lineup,” Wilson said. “It’s so exciting to watch, because Jessica, Jenisse [Demeulenaere] and Nadia are solid every single meet. We are seeing some very promising swimmers.”

That same day, the men swept the 400 medley (3:23.20) and the 400-freestyle relays (3:04.48) against the Aggies, behind seniors Pat Ota and Grant Hurst, juniors Pat Cary and Scott Lindberg, sophomore Blake Nilsson and freshman Bradley Matsumoto.

Sophomore Brooks Felton won the 1000 free (9:30.59) for the Gauchos while Cary took first in the 200 fly (1:52.28).

“Against Davis, our men really showed a lot of character,” Wilson said. “We were not without individual efforts and I was very pleased.”

On Saturday, the women took the 400-freestyle relay (3:27.95), but were only able to come away with a couple of individual wins. Cruzat took the 200-backstroke (2:02.47), and Yamamoto finished second in the 200 butterfly, swimming a lifetime best (2:02.72) and overcoming teammate senior Jen Schwalb (2:03.85).

“UOP doesn’t have a diving team, but they were rested and ready to go, while our women were already beat-up from Davis,” Wilson said. “UOP straight-up outswam our women.”

The men swept both relays Saturday against Pacific, but with minor changes to the roster from the previous day. However, the big surprise of the day came when Ota defeated his own teammate – and fourth fastest butterfly in the country – Cary at the 100 fly (50.11 and 50.49 respectively).

“The seniors really stood up to the challenge and swam very well,” Wilson said. “The men really picked it up and did what they had to.”