In the same vein as its other charity events, the Pi Alpha chapter of Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity Inc. hosts its second annual blood drive today in the Graduate Students Association (GSA) Lounge – located in the UCen – from noon to 4 p.m.

Pedro “Rollie” Durruthy, Pi Alpha Vice President and fourth-year film studies major, said he hopes the drive will collect between 75 and 100 pints of blood for the Santa Barbara Tri-Counties Blood Bank. Amitié, a recently founded on-campus community service organization, is co-sponsoring the drive.

Durruthy said he hopes today’s blood drive mirrors the success of last year’s.

“Last year we had to go over our time limit because so many people showed up,” Durruthy said. “We appreciate all the response we have gotten from the undergraduates, graduates, staff, faculty and alumni.”

Amitié President and fourth-year biology major Patrice Rooks said the blood drive is her club’s first sponsored event. She said Amitié means “friendship” in French, reflecting the club’s goal of improving the welfare of the campus population.

“[Our goal is] to put on programs to benefit the UCSB community,” she said. “They’re all free.”

According to the American Red Cross website, participants cannot donate blood if they weigh less than 110 pounds, feel ill or have donated blood within the last 56 days prior to their donations. Participants must complete questionnaires regarding their medical histories before donating blood.

The Tri-Counties Blood Bank will measure each participant’s blood pressure, temperature and blood iron level prior to each donation. To prevent light-headedness, Rooks said refreshments will be provided afterwards to donors.

Durruthy said Pi Alpha plans to continue with more volunteer events in the future.

“We chartered the new chapter [of Kappa Alpha Psi], Pi Alpha, recently, but we have been on the UCSB campus for over 30 years,” Durruthy said. “We will continue to have new community service events throughout the year, including a party-toy drive on Nov. 18. … All toys will be donated to local charities for disadvantaged children.”

The Associated Students Community Affairs Board will also host a blood drive in the GSA Lounge on Wednesday from noon to 5 p.m. Questions regarding the blood drive can be directed to A.S. Community Volunteer Coordinator and Advisor Pam Van Dyk via e-mail at pamv@as.ucsb.edu or by phone at (805) 893-4296.