THURSDAY OCTOBER 13TH: Screenwriter and script consultant Thomas Schlesinger will discuss and field questions about the film industry tonight at 7:30 in the downtown Borders bookstore. His works include the Academy Award winning “Nowhere in Africa” as well as the Oscar-nominated “Beyond Silence.” For more information on this event please call (805) 899-3668.

FRIDAY OCTOBER 14TH: Tonight marks the first in a string of can’t-miss shows at our very own Santa Barbara Bowl. At 7 p.m. the Mars Volta headline a prog-rock showcase that is sure to amaze even the most demure ticket-holders. Seats run from $28.25 to $40.25 and can be purchased at www.ticketmaster.com.

SATURDAY OCTOBER 15th: Yet another noteworthy show; tonight Coheed and Cambria take to the stage at the Majestic Ventura Theatre and lay down some catchy tunes. The show starts at 7 p.m. and admission is $20.

SUNDAY OCTOBER 16th: Head down south tonight for a performance that promises some cheap thrills. Up-and-comers Architecture in Helsinki hit the Troubadour in West Hollywood and you can join them for the low, low price of $12. Be sure to show up early for opening acts Still Flyin’ and Dr. Dog. Doors open at 8 p.m.

MONDAY OCTOBER 17th: Following his Campbell Hall performance, jazz legend Eddie Palmieri & the Latin Jazz Ensemble head on over to Geiringer Hall (that’s in the Music Building for all you newcomers) to teach a master class to UCSB music students. While Sunday’s concert may cost you a pretty penny, this instructional exhibition is free and open to public viewing. Class starts at 7:30 p.m.

TUESDAY OCTOBER 18th: Picnic lunches never tasted so good. Today at noon bluesy singer-songwriter Jay Nash will play an hour-long set on the lagoon lawn outside the UCen. The concert, brought to you by AS Program Board, is free and open to the public.

WEDNESDAY OCTOBER 19th: Take a tour of history today at the Santa Barbara Museum of Art. From 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. the museum will showcase “First Seen: Portraits of the World’s Peoples.” The exhibition features amateur and professional photography from around the world, all documenting the immergence and growth of portrait photography in the beginning of the 19th century. Admission is $6 for ID-carrying students.