The following news briefs are updates on three legal cases involving UCSB students from the 2004-05 academic year.

Cervin Morris

Associated Students 2004-05 President Cervin Morris attended a pre-trial Wednesday, Sept. 21 and is scheduled for another on Oct. 28, his attorney Lara Yeretsian said. Morris is charged with one felony count of assault with a deadly weapon and one misdemeanor count of battery.

Isla Vista Foot Patrol deputies arrested Morris on Nov. 12, 2004 for allegedly hitting a man in the head with a beer bottle and striking another man in the face during a fight at the Penthouse Apartments located at 6621 Abrego Rd.

Kent Kafatia:

Former UCSB student Kent Kafatia was found guilty of a felony in July for the forcible rape of a 22-year-old woman and was also found guilty of a misdemeanor for false imprisonment of a 21-year-old woman, said Mary Barron, district attorney for the case. Kafatia was sentenced to eight years in prison – the maximum possible sentence for a forcible rape.

Kafatia was originally charged with two felony counts of false imprisonment, one felony count of sexual battery and two felony counts of criminal threats. He was also charged with one felony count of assault with attempt to commit rape, one felony count of forcible rape and one misdemeanor count of false imprisonment. Although he was initially charged with eight counts, the jury was hung on six of the charges because some members believed there was insufficient evidence to convict. Barron said she decided not to re-try the dropped charges because of the potential psychological strain on the victims.

Santa Barbara Police arrested Kafatia, a native of Malawi, on Nov. 14, 2004 for allegedly raping a 20-year-old woman earlier that month and also for the alleged rape of a 22-year-old woman in December 2003. He was also accused of forcibly detaining a 21-year-old woman in October 2004 at Santa Barbara City College. A 51-year-old woman came forward as well and accused Kafatia of raping her while she was intoxicated, but the original prosecutor, Deputy District Attorney Joyce Dudley, dropped the charges.

Cristobal Ortega:

UC Police Dept. Detective Robert Romero said Cristobal Ortega’s case is currently pending review at the District Attorney’s office. He is charged with three felony counts of sexual battery.

UCPD arrested Ortega, a UCSB student, Feb. 8, 2005 for allegedly raping a 17-year-old Santa Barbara resident in San Rafael Residence Hall. He was charged with statuatory rape, rape of an intoxicated person and oral copulation with a minor.