Drivers using the I.V. loop as an all-day garage will have to find another place to park their cars soon, as Isla Vista Foot Patrol (IVFP) officers prepare enforce the limited parking signs posted along the streets.

People who violate the posted parking laws, which allow temporary parking for either 15 or 30 minutes depending on the space, will begin to receive tickets for doing so on Oct. 1. IVFP parking enforcement officer Marcia Nielson said the ticket will cost its recipient $32.50, which must be paid within 21 days after it is issued.

Santa Barbara County Planning and Development Manager Jamie Goldstein said local businesses are responsible for requesting the enforcement.

“It is an effort that the 3rd District has worked actively with the IVFP and the university for,” Goldstein said. “The real goal has been to enforce parking standards to free up spaces so patrons can use the businesses and come park.”

Nielsen said the IVFP has not been able to enforce the parking regulations in previous years because the Santa Barbara County Board of Supervisors had not approved the posted signs. She said the Board of Supervisors has now approved all of the signs and she has been working to notify local drivers that enforcement is about to begin.

“I have been putting out warning notices in timed parking areas in the business district and I gave notices to all the businesses in the business district that have timed parking,” Nielsen said.

Josh Carrieri, a clerk at Emerald Video on Pardall Road, said the IVFP has already notified his store about the upcoming enforcement. He said he does not think local customers will be bothered by the change, but said people who drive into I.V. to rent from Emerald Video may feel inconvenienced.

“I feel like most people bike or walk or skateboard, but there’s people that live in Goleta or Santa Barbara that drive over and rent movies so it will affect them for sure,” Carrieri said. “But there’s still parking in the back for under ten minutes.”

The enforcement program will not affect the parking aspect of the Isla Vista Master Plan and will cost the county little additional money, Goldstein said, as the IVFP will not have to hire any new personnel. He said the only additional cost of the program will be the public works money used to repaint the parking signs.

Goldstein said he thinks the enforcement will help downtown I.V. because it will stop people from parking there for prolonged periods of time, allowing local business patrons to have parking spots when they visit.

“The challenge I.V. is faced with is that it provides [parking] for free and everywhere around it charges money so people come in and take advantage of it,” Goldstein said.

For drivers who still want to park their cars in I.V., Nielsen said portions of the loop, located near Super Cucas and the Bagel Caf