Thursday: Part docudrama, part public service announcement, Zana Briski’s “Born Into Brothels” will be screening tonight in Campbell Hall. This winner of the 2005 Oscar for best documentary gives a grim look into the notorious prostitution rings of Calcutta, India, while attempting to enlighten and educate future hookers everywhere. The screening will begin at 7:30 p.m. Tickets are $5/students and $6/ public. Promising to crank out more ’80s hits than a day-glo jukebox, Neurotic City takes the stage tonight at Velvet Jones. The band’s covers include songs by Modern English, Talking Heads and Billy Idol, to name a few. Velvet Jones is located downtown at 423 State St.

Friday: We here at Artsweek like our lead singers androgynous and think you should too! So if you want to see Mr. Weiland rock out in all his eyeliner-laden glory or just wish to sit back and marvel at Slash’s coifed locks, tonight is your night. Velvet Revolver takes the stage at the Santa Barbara Bowl at 7 p.m. Tickets range from $36 to $63 and can be purchased at www.ticketmaster.com. Also tonight, Magic Lantern Films will present two showings of “Lemony Snicket’s A Series of Unfortunate Events” in I.V. Theater. Tickets are $4 with shows beginning at 7:30 and 10.

Saturday: Tonight at SOhO the Soul City Survivors will be performing an eclectic blend of soulful jazz and R&B covers, proving yet again that there is nothing sexier than a baritone sax. The “hot buttered soul” explosion will begin at 9:30 at 1221 State St. Also this evening, Matchbox 20 frontman Rob Thomas tries to bridge the gap between pop and dance pop with a solo show at the Ventura Theatre. The concert is in support of his upcoming debut album, Something to Be. The show starts at 7 p.m., and tickets are $30 at www.ticketmaster.com.

Sunday/Monday: Sunday night, local band Dishwalla will be playing its not-so-Christian rock at SOhO. The concert will double as an album release party for the group’s new, self-titled release. Tickets are $18, and the show starts at 8:30 p.m. Campbell Hall plays host to a modern dance double threat Monday night as showings of “Amelia” and “The Cost of Living” play back-to-back. The first film showcases the partnered performances of Canada’s La La La Human Steps, while “Cost” presents the story of struggling English street performers. Admission is $5/students and $6/public, and the screening begins at 7:30 p.m.

Tuesday: Today, lunchtime promises another installment of Associated Students’ free noon concert series. L.A.-based band the Fizzies will be bringing their pop rock melodies to Storke Plaza. Named after a famous soft drink from decades past, the set is sure to provide some saccharine sweet goodness or at least a means of washing down that PB&J sandwich. Tonight, A.S. will also host two screenings of the Oscar-nominated “Hotel Rwanda” in I.V. Theater. The film, starring Don Cheadle, tells the story of a hotel manager who worked against the Hutu militia in the early ’90s by housing Tutsi refugees. Tickets are $3/students and $5/general, and shows start at 7:30 p.m. and 10 p.m.

Wednesday: Tonight, experimental filmmaker Machiko Saito will be screening five of her short films, including “Pink Eye” and “Fifteen Minutes Femme.” Afterward, Saito will discuss her works and issues of race, sex and gender. The event begins at 6 p.m. in the MultiCultural Center Theater. We’re not sure if this year’s contestants will be wielding pickaxes or just some shiny Stratocasters, but tonight’s Battle of the Bands promises to bring the rock either way. Tonight, Kissing Tigers, Birdmonster, the Awakend, Vallejo by Knife and the Hairbrain Scheme will fight to the death for the coveted opening spot at this year’s Extravaganza. The show starts at 8:30 p.m. and is $5/students.