Only two meetings into the quarter, Associated Students Finance Board is already out of money to give to student groups.

Entering Monday’s meeting with just $825.07, the board divided the funds among seven student organizations. Only one of the groups asking for money from Finance Board received the full amount they requested. Although the organization is out of money, Finance Board Chair Bill Shiebler said the group would still offer other forums to provide help for student clubs, such as grant writing and flier-making. He said the board would not have any money to give to student groups until Spring Quarter.

“Everyone on Finance Board wants to give more money to student groups, but A.S. is not a profit-making entity right now,” Shiebler said.

Kelly Burns, a board member, said Finance Board had a difficult time deciding how much money to give to each group.

“We were in a situation where we had to choose which [events] were good causes, and they’re all good causes,” she said. “When it comes down to it, it’s pretty hard to pass judgment on which issue is more important.”

The San Nicolas Asian/Pacific Islander Cultural Studies (API) interest hall requested $200 and received a total of $70.07 to help finance the floor’s celebration of the Lunar New Year. Finance Board member Emily Lu, a San Nicolas resident assistant who represented API at the meeting, began crying after a motion was made to allocate $60.07 to the event.

“I don’t understand — we barely ask for any money,” Lu said.

Board members raised the amount of money they would give to API by $10 after Lu became emotional.

Lu said the celebration would begin Feb. 8 with a countdown to the New Year from 10:30 p.m to midnight and would be followed on Feb. 9 with a barbeque and casino night.

The Delta Sigma Theta Sorority requested $320 for its talent show fundraiser and was allocated a total of $67 for the event. The show is scheduled for Thursday at 8 p.m. in the MultiCultural Center Theater, and admission will be $3. Tauny Palm, a representative of the sorority, said money raised at the talent show would be used to pay for the sorority’s other events this quarter.

Farrah Brady, a member of both Finance Board and Delta Sigma Theta, said the money Finance Board allocated to the sorority, however sparse, will help them meet their goals.

“I feel that [the money received] is good,” Brady said. “We can stretch $67. We will contact other entities on campus until we can get the [rest of the] money.”

The MultiCultural Action Coalition (MAC) requested $290 and received $200 for its upcoming flag football fundraiser, “Tackle Cancer.” Francine Avila, a third-year political science major and representative from MAC, said the money would pay for two referees at the games.

The Asian Resource Center and the Vietnamese Student Association (VSA) plan to host a winter semi-formal dance on Feb. 4, and the two organizations received the $100 they requested. Michael Nguyen, a senior psychology major and VSA external vice president, said the funds would help pay for security and decorations at the dance. He said all proceeds from the semi-formal will go to Direct Relief International, which is currently assisting tsunami relief efforts in east and southeast Asia.

Finance Board approved $77 for the Black Pioneer Renaissance Organization, which is hosting a Lovers and Friends Dance on Feb. 11 from 9 p.m. to 12 a.m. in the Hub. The group originally requested $277 to pay for flyers and a DJ.

The Women’s Ensemble Theatre Troupe (WETT) is planning to present two performances of “The Vagina Monologues” on Feb. 18 and 19. The group received $250 of its requested $700 to help pay for the rental cost of Campbell Hall. WETT president Vic Knowles said proceeds from the $8 admission ticket will be donated to organizations that work to stop violence against women and girls.

UCSB Hillel requested $500 for its fourth annual Kosher Love Luau on Feb. 10 from 7 p.m. to 10 p.m. The organization received a total of $61 from Finance Board.

— Jason La contributed to this report.