Local pro-choice organizations will celebrate the 32nd anniversary of Roe v. Wade this Saturday in Anisq’ Oyo’ Park.

Members of Planned Parenthood, the Pro-Choice Coalition and Voices for Planned Parenthood (VOX) will speak about current issues surrounding women’s and abortion rights. The event, which is open to the public, will begin at 2 p.m. and will continue with theatrical performances, prizes and refreshments until about 4 p.m.

The 1973 Supreme Court decision Roe v. Wade granted women the right to choose whether or not to have an abortion. Saturday’s event is one of many held by Planned Parenthood of the Santa Barbara, Ventura, and San Luis Obispo counties that make up “Protect and Defend 2005,” a commemoration of the landmark decision.

VOX president Amara Allenstein said that, in the past, the Pro-Choice Coalition has commemorated the decision in downtown Santa Barbara. The coalition was able to bring the event to Anisq’ Oyo’ park this year with the help of UCSB students and Planned Parenthood.

Allenstein said she hopes hosting the event in Isla Vista will help inform a younger audience about the threat the current administration poses to a woman’s right to choose.

“We want to educate and get people involved in activism,” Allenstein said.

Other campus groups will be present, including Students Stopping Rape, Men Against Rape, MUJER and the Women’s Ensemble Theater Troupe (WETT), which will perform “The Vagina Monologues,” Allenstein said.

Rep. Lois Capps (D-Santa Barbara) and Pedro Nava, California 35th District Assembly member, will also attend the event. Both Nava and Capps will speak to the crowd and make themselves available for questions afterward. The event will also include slam poetry, music and guest speakers.

Students and community members will be able to write letters to politicians that endorse abortion, or express their thoughts through posts on message boards. Allenstein said many groups — including Arts & Lectures, the UCSB Bookstore and other local programs — have made donations to provide support for the event.

“It’s about education and activism, but mostly, it will just be fun because activism is fun,” Allenstein said.