Editor, Daily Nexus,

As I have just finished the first week of 10 of the Winter Quarter of 2005, I find myself, yet again, questioning the intentions of some of my professors teaching at UCSB. It wasn’t even within the first half hour of each of my four classes that the political ideologies of my professors surfaced and made it into their lectures. I am in no means suggesting that my professors are not knowledgeable about the subjects that they are teaching; however, I am suggesting that they stick to the topics of the course description and reserve their personal opinions about their political ideology to themselves. I did not sign up for Bush Bashing 101 four times over, and I find their comments not only offensive, but irrelevant to the classes that I am taking.

Using the front of the class as a platform for spouting off their personal political agendas is not the right of any professor. If I truly cared enough about my professors’ political opinions, I would ask them outside of the classroom, where we could engage in a healthy debate. When careless comments are spewed out within the lectures, it creates a feeling of uneasiness among those who disagree.

Questions arise at that moment: Will my grade be affected if I dare say something that goes against my professor’s school of thought? Is that a risk I’m willing to take? Do I just bite my lip and let these irrelevant and discriminating comments continue? That is precisely why I feel that it is my responsibility to speak up now. I have one request to the professors teaching the youth of this country: Hold back your personal political opinions until after class, and do what teachers are supposed to do. Teach, don’t preach!