Striding for breast cancer research and treatment, the UCSB Kappa Kappa Gamma sorority will host its fourth annual fundraiser this Saturday.

Registration for the Kappa Dash, a 5-kilometer run/walk, starts at 10 a.m. in front of the sorority’s house at 6525 Picasso Road – the race begins at 11 a.m. The event’s co-chair, Katharine Harrison, said a $12 donation is required to participate in the event, with all proceeds going toward the national Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation and Santa Barbara’s Breast Cancer Early Detection Program. The sorority is hoping for a turnout of over 300 runners, Harrison said.

Harrison said the race is sponsored by more than 60 organizations, including the Santa Barbara Bank and Trust, Goleta Valley Athletic Club, Gold’s Gym, Radisson Hotels and Resorts, 24 Hour Fitness and Logitech.

“We’ve really made an effort to reach out to the community to get them excited about Kappa Dash and we have had a wonderful response,” Harrison said. “With the support of over 60 sponsors, we are confident that this event will be a huge success.”

Santa Barbara Mayor Marty Blum is scheduled to join the race, and the fundraiser’s other co-chair Kristian Martz said the sorority is honored by Blum’s participation.

“[Blum’s] life has recently been affected by breast cancer, and her success story is an inspiration,” Martz said. “With our event, we hope to raise awareness, and as a public figure who has been affected by breast cancer, Mayor Blum will inspire us all to aid in the fight against this disease.”

The race’s course will include parts of the UCSB campus near the Lagoon, eventually making its way back to the finish line at the Kappa Kappa Gamma house.

To encourage participation, there will be post-race activities in Greek Park, including food, prize giveaways and a DJ. Members of the sorority will participate in the race and line the course, offering support to other runners.

Kappa Kappa Gamma member Brooke Hawkins said everyone is invited to join.

“We are proud to host events like this that invite people outside of the greek system,” Hawkins said.