Editor, Daily Nexus,

This week is the second annual “I Want A Truce” campaign, put on by Students Stopping Rape and Men Against Rape. The campaign is inspired by a speech by Andrea Dworkin. She likens rape and sexual assault to a war against women, and she demands there be at least one day where women are not forced to live in fear of being beaten or raped. We insist on a weekend free of sexual assault – Oct. 21 through 24. Our goal is an end to sexual assault.

By now, you may be thinking, “Geez, is this really that big of a problem? I haven’t heard about any rapes happening here in a while.” The reality is that sexual assault happens frequently in our community, especially around Halloween. Through anonymous surveys, it is estimated that there are between 350 and 500 sexual assaults each year in our community – roughly one assault every day. Most women do not report the crime because we live in a rape culture in which we are taught men need sex at any cost and women lie about rape. This must change.

To help support the campaign, come by the Women’s Center this week to sign a pledge and pick up a T-shirt and button. We are also having a party at Woodstock’s at 7 p.m. today. If you have questions or want to help, please call the Women’s Center at 893-3778.