In Wednesday’s story, “Cops Probe Possible Buchanan Assault,” it was erroneously reported that UC police are investigating a physical asssualt that occured in the Buchanan Hall bathroom at about 5:20 p.m. on Tuesday, Oct. 5. Police are actually investigating a possible suicide attempt that took place at that time and location.

UC Police are investigating a possible physical assault that occurred Tuesday afternoon in the men’s bathroom of Buchanan Hall.

UCPD Public Information Officer Mark Signa said authorities are not able to release the name of the possible assault victim or any medical information because of state victim protection laws.

Signa said paramedics from UCSB’s Station 17 responded to a call about a possible fall victim in the Buchanan Hall bathroom around 5:20 p.m. When they arrived at the scene, paramedics determined the subject in the bathroom may have been the victim of an assault, and he was taken to Goleta Valley Cottage Hospital for treatment, Signa said.

Signa said UC police are conducting an investigation.

Fourth year political science major John Eggart, who works at the U-Mail Help Desk in Phelps Hall, which is immediately adjacent to Buchanan Hall, said he saw police and ambulance vehicles gathered around the bathroom for an extended period of time. Eggart said he did not witness the possible assault, but other bystanders at the scene told him blood was visible on the walls of the bathroom.

On Wednesday, no blood was visible.