Editor, Daily Nexus

It is a very bad time to be an Isla Vista resident. Many students are not aware of what the Project Area Committee and General Plan Advisory Committee (PAC/GPAC) are doing, and I’m sure that PAC/GPAC likes it this way. Slowly but surely, they are robbing those who have a genuine interest in I.V. life of their basic freedoms.

As a local and active political group, the College Republicans oppose PAC/GPAC’s plans for I.V. While there are students who disagree with us on many issues, most would agree with us when we say that we want PAC/GPAC to leave I.V. the hell alone. PAC/GPAC have gone too far, and they need to see that they have little to no support from the people they supposedly represent.

The parking permit plan is just one example of PAC/GPAC’s track record of terrible ideas. The parking permit plan is needless, as there are many red zones in I.V. that are there only to discourage people from bringing their cars. We should open all available parking before we decide that there’s not enough of it to go around. As they stand now, these plans function only to extort money from I.V.’s residents for the county. I.V. residents are generally students and low-income Hispanic families – neither of whom can afford this.

The College Republicans are against any sort of bureaucratic nonsense, and we’ll continue to do our part to fight it. If you feel the same way about PAC/GPAC as the College Republicans do, I hope that you do your part to show your disgust. If you don’t, then PAC/GPAC will get their way. Their policies represent a veritable orgasm of poor public planning. Don’t let them get away with it.