Slava Olsen, a 20-year-old Isla Vista resident, was arraigned on one count of involuntary manslaughter Thursday stemming from the death of Bradley Jones, a 19-year-old Santa Barbara City College student.

Jones sustained severe head injuries around 12:30 a.m. Feb. 29 following an argument on the 6600 block of Sabado Tarde Road. Police said Olsen punched Jones in the face, causing him to fall backward and hit his head on the asphalt. After two days in a coma, Jones passed away March 2.

Deputy District Attorney Joshua Lynn, who is handling the case for the Santa Barbara County District Attorney’s office, said the arraignment hearing will be continued March 8. At that time, the judge will select a preliminary hearing date to determine whether the case will go to trial.

Sheriff’s deputies took Olsen into custody Tuesday, the same day Jones died.

Santa Barbara County Sheriff’s Dept. spokesman Sgt. Chris Pappas would not comment on the ongoing investigation or the investigation that led to Olsen’s arrest. However, the Sheriff’s Dept. released additional details regarding last weekend’s incident.

According to police reports, Jones and a small group of friends were walking from El Nido Road to a party on Sabado Tarde, when they encountered a group of 20 to 25 individuals on Sabado Tarde’s 6600 block. The group appeared to be “squaring off” with another group of people across the street as if they were going to fight.

As Jones and his friends walked by at about 12:30 a.m., members of the larger group called several of the girls traveling with Jones “sluts.” A friend of Jones told the group not to call his female friends that name.

Jones and his friends tried to ignore the larger group by continuing to walk westbound on Sabado Tarde. They made it approximately three house-lengths before noticing two men, one who was later identified as Olsen, who had broken off from the larger group and were pursuing them.

The unidentified man shoved Jones, asking him why he was “talking shit.” According to witnesses, when Jones told the man he had not said anything, Olsen sucker-punched Jones in the face, resulting in his fatal fall. Olsen and the other man stood over Jones’ body after the assault, saying something about how Jones was knocked out.

Jones’ friends told police they did not see where the assailant had gone because they were paying more attention to Jones, who was lying unconscious in the street. Witnesses estimate Jones was unconscious between one and two minutes before coming to.

While one of Jones’ friends called 9-1-1 from his cell phone, police reports stated the caller hung up because he thought he had been on hold while the call was being transferred.

One of Jones’ friends called Jones’ roommate, who arrived on the scene and helped carry Jones back to his house, where they put him on the couch. Jones complained of a severe headache and said he felt like throwing up. His friends told police that when Jones passed out in the bathroom after vomiting, two of them drove him to Goleta Valley Cottage Hospital.

Hospital staff told police Jones arrived at the emergency room in a private vehicle about 1:30 a.m. and was moved to a bed by 1:45 a.m. Approximately five minutes later, he stopped breathing and went into a coma.

After a CT scan showed bleeding in the right side of his brain, Jones was transported to Santa Barbara Cottage Hospital via ambulance. Doctors performed emergency brain surgery, but he did not emerge from the coma.