Thursday
Living in Santa Barbara, we constantly have a gorgeous view of our neighboring Santa Ynez Mountains, full of splendor and… a couple of trees. However, what we have here in central California pales in comparison to real mountains, ones with names people actually recognize. Check out lots of awe-inspiring mountains at the Banff Mountain Film Festival on Thursday and Friday at 7:30 p.m. in Campbell Hall. Tickets are $10 for students. For a little more upbeat but still inspirational evening, head to the Hub where Associated Students is hosting hip-hop superstars Living Legends. The show goes down at 8:30 p.m., tickets run $16 in advance, $21 at the door. Check out llcrew.com for more info on the Living Legends.

Friday
Looking for something cheap to do with your date that doesn’t make you look like a schmuck? Well head on over to the Isla Vista Theatre to catch a showing of Oscar-nominated “21 Grams” starring Benicio del Toro and Naomi Watts. Tickets are $3 for students, and a quick run over to S.O.S. for a couple 40s and some candy beforehand won’t set you back too much. Looking to round out your perfect I.V. night? Revel in the delights of indie music acts playing at the Pink Mailbox showspace tonight, starting at 7 p.m. The bands include One A.M. Radio, Allison Milham and Brian Kuroda. For more info, directions or mp3s, visit www.sbscene.tk. Entrance to this all-ages show is $3.

Saturday/Sunday
SNL funnyman and media darling Al Franken is coming to SB promoting his much talked about book Lies and the Lying Liars Who Tell Them: A Fair and Balanced Look at the Right. Blending politics and entertainment, Al will have the crowd roaring with laughter, or at least chuckling at conservative right-wingers wee into the night. Mr. Franken goes on at 2 p.m. and tickets can be purchased at the Arlington Theatre for $15. So you may casually throw his phrases around like you know what you’re talking about, but don’t you think it’s high time you brushed up on ol’ Shakespeare? Check out the UCSB Theater Dept.’s matinee performance of “Much Ado About Nothing” on Sunday afternoon at 2; tickets start at $13. This beloved romantic comedy will be performed throughout the weekend. For further show dates and info contact A.S. ticket office at 893-3535.

Monday
Love kids or want to be a teacher after graduation? Even if you don’t, this inspirational tale of a wise, retiring teacher of students ages 3-12, might change your mind, or at least make you appreciate your elementary school teachers just a little more. “To Be and To Have” is playing tonight at Campbell Hall at 7:30. Tickets are $5. For a little less enlightening and slightly more drunken Monday night, swing on by the Wildcat Lounge for the wild and crazy local sounds of Stargun Holloway. Playing with other local favorite Awaiting Yesterday, the cheap show is sure to make your evening. Get there by 10 p.m. to catch the show or get drunk early – your choice. Call 962-7970 for more info.

Tuesday
For a show not to be missed, catch Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater tonight at Arlington Theatre at 8. A true pioneer in both modern dance and African-Americans in dance, his world-renowned piece “Revelations” will be performed, among other dances. Sure to be both a spiritual and emotional experience, this show should prove to be the highlight of the Arts & Lectures season. Tickets are $25. It’s Election Day in I.V.! And you know what that means… party! But what in I.V. doesn’t constitute a party? However, not all parties are as cool as the Free Election Day Music Festival being held in Anisq’ Oyo’ Park in Isla Vista from 5-9 p.m. Bands will include Blue Room and the Grooveyard among others. Check out www.bandtogether.us/sb for more info.

Wednesday
In the mood for a little Australian rockabilly complete with stand up bass and suave pompadours? Then don’t miss the Living End playing tonight at Velvet Jones with Jackson and Maxeen. The music begins at 9:15 p.m. and tickets can be bought at the door for about $9. Velvet Jones is located at 423 State Street. Call 965-8676 for concert information. Long for the days of people taking matters into their own hands? Maybe you should watch the “Weather Underground” and see a radical student group that opposed the Vietnam War by doing some pretty horrific things in the name of peace and maybe you’ll reconsider. Tickets are $5, and the documentary will begin tonight at 7:30 at Campbell Hall.