Thursday
Campbell Hall is just full of entertainment tonight, starting with MIT Professor John Dower’s lecture “Cultures of War: Pearl Harbor, Hiroshima, 9/11.” He will give us all some insight into the parallels between World War II and our current involvement in Iraq. And what’s better than political enlightenment? The fact that it’s free at 4 p.m. If you don’t have any midterms to study for, stick around for the screening of Mongolia’s first-ever entry for the Oscar for Foreign Language Film at 9 p.m. The story of a mother camel that rejects its baby will have you breaking out the hankies. Come check out “Story of the Weeping Camel.” All tickets are $8.50.

Friday
For all of you who had tickets to last spring’s canceled X show in Ventura, here is your chance to catch a few members in action. X’s country side project, the Knitters, will have you honky-tonking and pogoing with the best of them tonight at the Majestic Ventura Theatre. The show starts at 7 p.m., but break out your wallet – tickets are $22.00. A little earlier in the day, swing on by 510 State St. for the a free event at the film festival. UCSB alumnus and movie producer extrordinaire Jeffrey Seckendorf (“Finding Home” and “The Crux,” both playing at the festival) will hold a highly informative seminar on cinematography for all local film nerds to revel in. The fun starts at 12:30 p.m., so check it out. Visit www.sbfilmfestival.com for more info.

Saturday
Take your “Girlfren” on south to the Majestic Ventura Theatre to enjoy a rare performance by Mr. Modern Lover himself, Jonathan Richman. If his music is any indication, this show will be a little off-the-wall, but for only 10 bones, it will surely be worth your while. Doors open at 7:30 p.m. Call 639-3965 or visit www.ticketmaster.com for ticket info. If you prefer to get a little closer to the one you love, sashay down to the Paseo Nuevo shopping center this between 2 and 5 p.m. and take Tango Santa Barbara up on their free tango lessons – just in time for Valentine’s Day. You make look a little silly arm-in-arm in front of Nordstrom, but it’s cheaper than real dance lessons and probably more fun. Call 568-5996 for more info.

Monday
If you enjoyed Saturday’s free tango lessons and just can’t get enough of the language of love, fear not; Arts & Lectures is screening Argentina’s own “Tango – the Obsession” tonight at 7:30 in Campbell Hall. Filled with modern and historical footage, this film will fulfill your every tango desire. Stick around afterward for a performance by Tango Santa Barbara. Students are $5. Ever dream of starting an indie rock duet with your significant other so you can stare lovingly into each others eyes while rocking out? Well, Mates of State did. They will be introducing you to their sonic sounds at Goleta’s own Hard to Find Showspace, located at 7190 Hollister Ave. The show starts at 8:30 p.m., and if you bring canned food, your admission is a buck or two cheaper.

Tuesday
If you don’t mind the drive and are dying to kick some ass in the pit, head on up to SLOBrew, which seems to be getting more shows than Santa Barbara at the moment. Just look at Bouncing Souls, Hot Water Music and Let It Burn’s performance tonight as evidence! SLOBrew is located at 1119 Garden St. in San Luis Obispo. Call (805) 543-1843. For a more meaningful and less debaucherous night, join the Women’s Center in welcoming Lashaune Johnson as she gives her talk titled “The Transition From Cancer Patient to ‘Survivor.'” This free event will highlight the unpleasant health and mental conditions experienced by cancer survivors even after the disease is gone. The talk begins at 4 p.m. in the Women’s Center Library.

Wednesday
Come discover the secret underworld of black and Latino gay men in New York City, laden with discrimination and poverty, at the MultiCultural Center’s viewing of the film “Paris Is Burning” tonight at 6. Part of the MCC’s Black History Month series, this film will open your eyes to an underrepresented subculture. This event is free. Also this evening, check out acclaimed abstract oil painter Pamela Benham as she graces the UCSB Faculty Club with several of her airy paintings. Her opening reception will be held from 4:30 to 6:30 p.m. and promises wine and cheese as well as the company of art aficionados (and probably a few pretentious art undergrads) at this free par-tay.