The Associated Students Finance Board handed out over $2,500 at its final meeting of the quarter Monday afternoon, finishing the quarter with over $4,300 still unallocated – less than eight percent of their funds for the year.

Of the money given out by the board, $400 was for a sorority-sponsored charity dinner, $605 for an alcohol-free sorority fundraiser and $1,500 to revive an activist student government position. The board heard requests from Delta Sigma Theta Vice President Farrah Brady, Alpha Kappa Alpha President Jennifer Brackeen and A.S. State Affairs Organizing Director Lance Tackett. Each proposal was passed unanimously by the board.

Brady presented the budget for Delta Sigma Theta’s annual Thanksgiving dinner on Nov. 24 in Santa Rosa residential halls. Finance Board Chair Fernando Ramirez proposed that the board give $150 to be used for decorations, since by-laws state the board cannot give more than $100 to groups for food at events. The board unanimously decided to allocate $400 total for decorations, food and publicity for the dinner. The dinner is open to all students and their families and the price of admission is one can of food to be donated to charity.

“Make sure you come and bring your can,” Brady said.

Brackeen requested and received $605 total for the facility deposit, security and publicity for her sorority’s annual fund-raising dance to be held at the beginning of next quarter. She said the party would provide an alcohol-free option to the Isla Vista party scene, and would be open to all.

Tackett requested and received $1,500 for the operational costs and campaign funds required for his position. In his written statement to Finance Board, Tackett said the position did not receive a budget for the 2003-04 school year because it was not filled until late last year and was cut due to “the lack of service the [state affairs organizing director] provided to the students.”

Tackett said the funding would go toward several projects, including the Stop Killer Coke campaign, which seeks to limit the sale of Coca-Cola on campus, and the Not With Our Money campaign, which protests the state’s uneven allocation of funding to the prison system versus the education system. He said the campaigns are part of larger projects.

“A lot of these are statewide campaigns that I’m bringing back to our campus, so it’s bigger than just us,” he said.

The board began Fall Quarter with $16,469.39 in their account to give to student groups. In addition to the money they started the quarter with, the board recently received student fees collected over the summer, bringing their balance to $33,651.31. The remaining $4,300 in unallocated funds will roll over to the next quarter. Ramirez said that despite administrative cuts made to the board’s budget, most groups that presented proposals received the funding they needed.

“We used to get a lot more [money] to give out to students,” Ramirez said. “So far, I think everyone’s gotten everything they’ve wanted.”