Thursday 11/6
Running is great for physical health, but the Marathon Monks run up to 52 miles a day as part of their spiritual search. Two films will screen at Campbell Hall tonight at 7:30, exploring the daily lives of the rarely seen Tendai Buddhists and Kazakh nomads. Tickets to see Marathon Monks of Mount Hiei and Herdsmen cost $5. For info, call 893-3535. UCSB grad Garrett Hubbard will be hosting the official opening reception for his poignant and noteworthy photo essay documenting the unemployment, alcoholism and HIV/AIDS epidemic taking place in South Africa. His hopeful and touching work will be on display at CafŽ Siena through Nov. 25 so be sure to step out for a good cause tonight from 6 to 8 p.m. CafŽ Siena is located at the corner of Figueroa and State Street downtown. Call 963-7344. Donations are welcome.

Friday 11/7
Interested in filmmaking? Want to see what your fellow UCSB students have created? Then check out the short student films produced by last year’s Film Studies 106 crews. The four productions being shown are: Chin Music, Death and Daffodils, Long Distance and My First Movie. The films will screen tonight in I.V. Theater at 7:30. Doors open at 7 and tickets are $4. Proceeds from this event go to the production of the 2003-04 Focus Media Journal, an undergraduate film studies publication. For further information, e-mail . Tangle up some dreadlocks and get ready to paint the town red, yellow and green. Reggae-blues band Groundation will perform tonight at the Coach House. This 9 p.m. show costs $12. Call 583-8700 for info.

Saturday 11/8
Their songs “Legs” and “Gimme’ All Your Lovin'” are almost as famous as the lengthy, white beards of ZZ Top. They’ll play the SB Bowl tonight at 7 with guest Franky Perez & the Highway Saints. So throw on your finest biker attire and show off them gams for these legendary rockers. Tickets start at $32. For info, call 962-7411. Even if you didn’t know The Ataris formed in Santa Barbara, you’ve already discovered them from their recent radio/MTV hits “In This Diary” and “The Boys of Summer.” Well, the pop-punk group comes back to their roots tonight by headlining at the Ventura Theater at 7. Tickets are only $17, so show some hometown support. For info, call 639-3965.

Sunday 11/9
Artsweek isn’t sure why the Ex Models aren’t in the business anymore, but you can find out when they play at the Biko House tonight with Dance Disaster Movement. Math is suddenly cool again with the Ex’s post-punk, and then Dance Disaster reincarnates “Thriller” with its dark dance-punk. The Biko is located at 6612 Sueno Road in I.V. Monetary donations are appreciated for this 8 p.m. show. Volunteering and community service make everyone feel all warm and fuzzy inside. At the Santa Barbara Museum of Art, the docent-led tour of exhibitions will present an afternoon of mixed media. The tour starts at noon. Call 963-4364 for info.

Monday 11/10/Tuesday 11/11
Falling in love and second chances are complicated matters, especially in the harsh reality of New York City. Theatre UCSB’s production of “Stop/Kiss” explores these issues through both comedy and tragedy. The play starts Tuesday night at 8 in UCSB’s Performing Arts Theater. Tickets are $13. Call 893-3022 for info. The movie “Grease” defined an era, but its popularity transcended through every generation and fad thus far. Tuesday night at 8, the “Grease” national tour hits Thousand Oaks Civic Arts Plaza to relive 1959 and make your heart flutter with songs “Greased Lightning” and “Beauty School Dropout.” Tickets start at $39.50. For info, call 449-2787.

Wednesday 11/12
K. Kvarnstrom has received international acclaim for his hypnotic and energetic choreography. His Swedish dance troupe will perform risky lifts and liquidlike movements tonight at 8 in Campbell Hall. Tickets start at $16. For tickets and info, call 893-3535. If you haven’t already pledged your piggy bank to KCSB, ring up 893-2424 and get to it before tonight’s Annual On-Air Fund Drive closing night party. The night will also coincide with KCSB’s monthly Women’s Night held at the ever-enchanting Elsie’s Tavern, located at 117 W. De La Guerra, downtown. KCSB DJs will spin the lady-crafted tunes and celebrate till the wee hours. Admission is free to this 21+ event, starting at 9 p.m.