Where can gals and guys go in Goleta to meet Laurel and Hardy, Alfie or Joe Boxer, and maybe even take them home? Not Blockbuster or Target – all of these fun-loving individuals can be found at the K-9 Placement and Assistance League shelter.

The nonprofit organization is holding a yard sale fundraiser Saturday from 10 a.m. until 4 p.m. at 5473 Overpass Road in Goleta. Co-director Sally Hopkins said she anticipates the fundraiser will be a success.

“It is hopefully going to be our first annual sale,” Hopkins said.

Proceeds from the sale will go toward medical treatments, maintenance of the facility, grooming supplies and special diets for the dogs. The items available will range from household utensils to pet toys, and there will also be a bake sale.

Hopkins said she would like to be at the shelter every hour of the day instead of at her other job.

“We have a lot of sweeties here,” Hopkins said.

Volunteers put in 30 to 50 hours per week at the shelter to help dogs recover from abuse and neglect. Alfie, a dog rescued from an abusive home, had skin problems due to his owner’s neglect.

“With a dog like Alfie, any other shelter would put him down,” Hopkins said. “We have a very low kill rate.”

Hopkins said the only time a dog is put to sleep at the shelter is if the dog has had a violent outbreak or is terminally ill. Even if a dog has been at the shelter for two years, the shelter will still house a dog until it is adopted.

Before adoption, the directors meet with prospective owners and ask that everyone in the adoptive household meet the dog.

Anyone interested in volunteering can call 681-4369 for more information.