The sexual revolution in the last few decades has opened the backdoor to previously unacceptable sex practices. Anal sex has crept from the underbelly of society into the light of day. As we throw away those graces, rump riding has become more common, even among college students.

In a survey done at Midwestern University, 17 percent of sexually active males and 18 percent of sexually active females had engaged in some ass romping. The same survey cited that, overall, 25 percent of people have tried anal sex at least once.

Besides being an extremely erotic physical experience, anal sex is also appealing for its taboo qualities. For a lot of people, it lies slightly outside the realm of ‘normal sex,’ perhaps because the ass is considered dirty or maybe because there are no reproductive benefits from it. Legislative action was even deemed necessary to prohibit anal penetration. Today, nine states, plus Puerto Rico, still have laws on the books prohibiting sodomy, consensual or not.

Regardless of uptight legislative bodies, stimulation of nerve endings in the ass can provide extreme pleasure. Many people are able to reach orgasm through anal penetration, called an “assgasm.” A female assgasm is a vaginal orgasm caused by stimulation or penetration of the anus, sometimes in combination with vaginal or clitoral stimulation.

Since these nerve endings are not located in the cleanest part of the body, a drive down the Fleet Highway is a good idea. Most proponents of enemas suggest giving yourself one the morning before you plan on engaging in anal play. An enema directly before sex can cause some irritation. A shower right before sex should take care of any other cleanliness issues. Unless your partner prefers the au naturelle state of your smelly ass, this generally is a really good idea.

Before humping the holiest of the holies, both partners should be relaxed and go slowly. If the partner receiving anal sex is an ass virgin, it may take a few tries just to get her – or him – familiar with the sensations of ass play. The sphincter is normally a tight fit, so it’s a good idea to start small. Fingers are great and readily available. But if you use your fingers, be sure your nails are short, clean and filed. A small dildo or butt plug can also be used.

Whether you use fingers or toys, there is no such thing as too much lube. Water-based lubricants are the best. They are compatible with rubbers and makes ass loving a lot more comfortable. Men should allow their partner to control the amount of penetration in order to make them feel more at ease.

Once you’ve loosened up the backdoor, it’s time for your grand entrance. Many people find that lying on your side and receiving from behind is most comfortable. Again, the receiving partner should control penetration. If your partner is not yet ready, clitoral stimulation can provide added pleasure, increasing receptivity.

Actual penetration should be done very gently. The anus is much more delicate than the vagina. The recipient should be able to control speed and depth. As long as there is plenty of lubrication, penetration should be relatively easy. The rump-rider should stop if his partner feels pain or discomfort.

Anal sex should never be followed by vaginal sex unless the penis has been washed with soap and warm water. Bacteria can be transferred from the rectum to the vagina. Condoms facilitate cleanup and are highly recommended, especially if you and your partner are not in a monogamous relationship.

To further decrease the risk of infections, withdrawal prior to ejaculation is also a good idea. A nasty infection could land you in a doctor’s office explaining the reasons why you think your vagina itches and smells funny.

And that would be a real pain in the ass.

Christina Huff is the Daily Nexus sex columnist.