Wednesday 6/25

Shocking pictures of the 9/11 destruction consumed contemporary media coverage, but images of previous conflicts like the Spanish Civil War or D-Day are relegated to textbooks. In her documentary “Robert Capa: In Love and War,” Anne Makepeace follows the wartime journeys of this renowned photographer dubbed “the greatest photographer in the world.” The film will be screened in Campbell Hall tonight at 7:30. Tickets are $5. Call 893-3535 for info. Take time to stop and smell the roses is an apt warning, especially at the Lompoc Valley Flower Festival starting today and ending June 29. Contact for info.

Thursday 6/26

Beck never had a monkey, but he still made it big following his days as a street busker. Though these days his music has less to do with refrigerators having sex, his soulful side has proven equally rewarding. The Black Keys will open and start stirring up the Santa Barbara Bowl starting tonight at 7. Tickets start at $35. For info, call 962-7411. Borders Books & Music in Santa Barbara is about to get gnarly today when the author of Eddie Would Go, the biography of one of Hawaii’s greatest surf heroes, comes for a book signing starting at 5:30 p.m. For info on this book about the 1970s “Hawaiian Renaissance” man call 899-3668.

Friday 6/27

The name John Doe is usually for the unknown, but when the band X broke ground in the ’80s, there then existed a face to the name. Fronting the band with ex-girlfriend Exene Cervenka, the band was one of the first to define L.A. punk. So break out the hair spray because the group will play the Ventura Theatre to make up its cancelled show last month. The show starts at 7 and costs $25. Call 639-3965 for info. If you think t.A.T.u. is hot, check out Cr