Campbell Hall will be far from quiet tonight, when silent films find their voice.

The student-run Reel Loud Film Festival will combine live performances by musicians, singers, dancers, actors and comedians with 13 student silent film productions tonight at 7:30 in Campbell Hall. This year’s theme is “Picture Palaces.” Tickets for the 12th annual performance, which is run by students, will be $6 presale or $8 at the door.

“It’s a different feeling when you see a film and you hear what is supposed to lay over the film live,” festival director Jhizet Panosian said.

Campbell Hall will be transformed tonight to resemble theaters from the Golden Age of Hollywood – the 1930s, ’40s and ’50s – complete with a red carpet and usherettes to welcome and seat the audience.

“It is fun and lighthearted, not too serious,” festival publicity coordinator Shavonne Wieder said. “It is a great way for students to see what other students have put their heart and soul into.”

A committee of 11 – composed of students, faculty, staff and industry professionals – chose the 13 silent, 16-millimeter films from 18 submissions. Submissions were evaluated on both content and adherence to festival guidelines, which stipulate that all films must be less than six and a half minutes long, filmed on celluloid and projected on 16-millimeter film.

Festival producer Matt Harnack said some submissions were declined because they were filmed on video or in digital format.

Panosian said the subject matter of the films cover “anything and everything.”

“We don’t want to set limitations,” she said.

This year’s performances include the film “Ununderstood,” with live music by local band Idiot Savant. Live performances taking place between films will include the world champion juggler Ivan Pecel, who has opened for the Rolling Stones, and the Fosse Dance Group, which will perform “All That Jazz” from the movie “Chicago.” The UCSB a cappella group Naked Voices will also perform.

A panel of five – consisting of faculty members, students and Jon Fitzgerald, the director of the Santa Barbara International Film Festival – will judge the students’ films. The films will be judged for their content, style and cohesiveness, and one will be selected to receive the Golden Reel Award, which includes $250 in supplies for future films.

The Inspirational Alumni Achievement Award will also be awarded tomorrow night to a UCSB alumnus who has achieved success in the film industry. Past recipients include Scott Frank, writer of the screenplay “Minority Report.”

In the past, the festival has played to a sold-out crowd, and festival coordinators are anticipating similar numbers this year. The night will also include a raffle with prizes such as surfing lessons and tickets for a harbor cruise. Tickets are available at the film studies office located in Ellison Hall, Room 1720.