Students looking for a breather from mounting finals pressure might want to swing by Harder Stadium this Saturday as the Associated Students Program Board continues its annual springtime tradition with Extravaganza 2003.

The gates of Harder Stadium will open at 11 a.m., and the show runs from noon until dusk. The free all-day music festival, with its various musical lineups, has drawn crowds of up to 10,000 in the past. This year’s main stage acts – Dilated Peoples, Slightly Stoopid, Eve 6, Nerf Herder and Dredg – will alternate with Ankore and local bands Kissing Tigers, the History Of, Blue Room and Falsehood on the second stage. At 2 p.m., the UCSB Hip Hop Club will host an emcee battle.

Extravaganza 2003 will cover a wide range of musical tastes from hip hop to punk to alternative rock. This year’s show has the potential to attract a diverse crowd, which it was criticized for failing to do last year.

“I will definitely be attending this year,” sophomore dance major Jacob Roland said. “I’m looking forward to it very much. I can’t wait to see Dilated Peoples. It should be a great show.”

Last year’s show, Extravaganza 2002, drew mixed responses. Bad luck, bad weather and bad timing resulted in several desired bands backing out and a show that was not as successful as originally planned, said Chris Matalone, A.S. Program Board special events coordinator and senior political science major.

“Things just kind of fell through, and it wasn’t as well-organized as it could have been,” he said. “We were trying to [involve] more things in the show that just didn’t happen. We kind of bit off more than we could chew at that point.”

This year, the board is looking to overcome past years’ disappointments and put on a successful show. Despite a much tighter budget than usual and pressure to top last year’s show, the board pulled the show together by planning early and seeking out big-name sponsors including Ford Motor Company, Matalone said.

To ensure a safe time for all who attend, items including large bags, bottles, cans, alcohol, photography, recording devices, skateboards, pocket chains, knives, weapons and animals aren’t allowed at the event. The concert is free to everyone, not just UCSB students.

“The purpose of Extravaganza is to give something to the student community that just lets everyone have a good time,” Matalone said. “That’s what we’re here for. We’re here to just entertain everyone who goes here, and this is our way of putting everything we can into giving them a great show.”