A UCSB student who suffered severe neck injuries in a playful wrestling match April 26 has been moved to a Northern California rehabilitation center, where fellow Alpha Tau Omega fraternity members say he is expected to make a full recovery.

Kyle Engelbert, 20, who was resuscitated by the CPR efforts of Isla Vista Foot Patrol officers and onlookers after the accident on the front lawn of the ATO fraternity house, was originally transported to the hospital in critical condition.

“He’s doing better than expected,” said Adam Heisler, an ATO member and junior business economics and accounting major.

Aaron Halimi, ATO president, said the fraternity is planning benefit fundraisers for Engelbert that may include magazine sales, a chili cook-off or a car wash.

“This whole thing is something we’re just starting to emotionally get over,” Halimi said. “It’s been a tough time for our house.”

Ben Engelman, a senior business economics major and Ken Vella, a junior global studies major, who are both members of ATO, said they want to thank the community, especially the IVFP and the doctors and nurses at Santa Barbara Cottage Hospital, for their support of Engelbert and ATO.

“We had a lot of people come up to us saying that their prayers were with our brother,” Engelman said.

Vella said that the UCSB greek system has been very supportive.

“We got giant signed cards from almost all the sororities,” he said.

Engelbert has withdrawn from his Spring Quarter classes, but the date of his return to school or ATO is unknown.