It’s a party with a purpose.

The Surfrider Foundation is hosting a benefit concert to raise money and generate interest in local environmental issues.

SOhO Restaurant and Music Club, located at 1221State St., will host the Surfrider Benefit Concert on Friday at 8 p.m. The event’s organizers are asking for a donation of $10 at the door.

“This is sort of on a sliding scale, if people can’t afford it,” said Matt Wallace, Surfrider member and the event’s promoter. “As long as people are honest, donations of any amount will be accepted.”

Peyote Surf Trip, a three-man band performing classic surf covers, will open Friday’s show and will be followed by the night’s headliner, the Upbeat. This ska and reggae band from Carpinteria boasts 10 musical members and is now working on its third album, scheduled for release in September.

Beyond a set of psychedelic surf tunes, Surfrider members have also arranged a viewing of vintage Super-8 surf films in the SOhO lounge, compliments of Steve Miller. Miller, now living at Silverstrand Beach in Oxnard, has been shooting surf films for over 30 years and was a member of the filming crew for Tibet: Cry of the Snow Lion, a highly acclaimed documentary from last year.

Friday night’s event will also feature a slideshow presentation of photography by Brenda Aroyan, who recently returned from a surfing expedition in the Samoan Islands.

The Surfrider Foundation is a worldwide nonprofit organization committed to protecting the world’s oceans and beaches through conservation, research, education and local activism. The Surfrider Foundation now has over 37,000 members and 60 chapters within the United States. International chapters are active in many other countries including Japan, Brazil, Australia, France and Spain.

Wallace said Friday’s concert is not only being held to raise money but also to raise awareness about local issues. Currently, local members are fighting the construction of a golf course at Naples Ranch, along the Gaviota coast. Wallace said although the course’s proposal was voted down by the Coastal Commission, it still poses a serious threat to the popular surf spot.

Another issue at the top of Surfrider’s list of concerns is a proposed extension of the rock revetment wall at Goleta Beach. While there are many people that would like to see this project proceed to slow the beach’s erosion, Surfrider is concerned by the possible environmental impact from expanding the wall.

“Surfrider has hired the Environmental Defense Center to ensure a proper environmental review on the project,” Surfrider Foundation Executive Board Member Scott Bull said. “And legal fees are very expensive.”

Bull said that Surfrider hopes to raise between $3,000 and $4,000 at the benefit to cover these costs.