Someone somewhere is $500 richer for helping put an attempted robber behind bars.

The Santa Barbara County chapter of Crime Stoppers International program has allowed its first informant to safely supply the name and whereabouts of a wanted criminal. An anonymous caller provided detectives at the Santa Barbara County Sheriff’s Dept. information that led to the location and capture of David Paul Urzua, who allegedly attempted to rob the Sav-On Drug store at 189 Turnpike Rd. on Jan. 25.

Sometime after Urzua allegedly committed the crime, the informant called the Crime Stoppers tip line and relayed his or her knowledge about Urzua.

The Santa Barbara chapter of Crime Stoppers started up in January. Public Safety Dispatch Center spokesman Sol Linver said Urzua’s arrest represents the fulfillment of Crime Stoppers plan.

“The program is based on the principle that someone other than the criminal has information that can solve crime and was created to combat the three major problems faced by law enforcement in generating that information: fear of reprisal, an attitude of apathy and reluctance to get involved,” Linver said.

The sum of $500, like all monetary Crime Stoppers rewards, was the result of a vote by a committee of citizen volunteers. Depending on the nature of the information given, Crime Stoppers informants could earn up to $1000 for their tips.

“I think Crime Stoppers [gets] the community more involved,” Santa Barbara County Sheriff Jim Anderson said in a January interview.

Crime Stoppers is funded locally through donations and fund-raising events. To provide information about any criminal activity – and possibly get a financial reward – call the SB Crime Stoppers tip line at (877) 800-9100.