UCSB women plan to take back the night every night this week.

The on-campus student organization Take Back the Night is holding its annual week of events to try to bring an end to sexual assault. The week’s events are scheduled to begin today with an opening rally at noon in Storke Plaza, followed by several workshops from a variety of local and campus groups from 2 to 5 p.m. at the MultiCultural Center. Some workshop topics are “Assault in the Sex Trade Industry,” “Sexual Terrorism,” “Rape and War” and “Sexual Assault and Prevention of Sexual Assault in Relation to Gender Queer and Transgender Communities.”

“We organize these events because one in four women are sexually assaulted in their lifetime, and one in three of these are assaulted by their mid-20s. That greatly affects this community,” Stephanie Molen, senior music major and co-chair of Take Back the Night, said.

Students Stopping Rape and Men Against Rape, which hosted the It Affects Me rally last Thursday, said it plans to hold another event, the Students Stopping Rape Festival, on the Women’s Center lawn Tuesday from 10 a.m. until noon. T-shirts designed by survivors of sexual assault are planned to be on display in front of the Women’s Center during the festival as part of Clothesline Project, an event in which sexual assault survivors express their feelings through clothing.

“The purpose of the rally [was] to raise awareness that rape affects everyone in the campus community,” Sarah Crowley, coordinator for Students Stopping Rape, said of the It Affects Me rally last week.

Students Stopping Rape said it will offer a self-defense workshop at the Women’s Center on Tuesday – the time for that event has yet to be announced. The day’s last event is “Take Back the Mic,” an open mic session at the MCC Theater from 7 to 11 p.m.

Wednesday’s events revolve around “safe spaces” – places for queer students to meet, socialize and discuss queer issues. Carol Mosely and Sarah Crowley have planned a lesbian gay, transexual, bisexual, intergender and questioning safe space from 11:30 a.m. until 1 p.m. Dora Morse is scheduled to present a women of color safe space from 3:30 to 5 p.m., and a safe space for men is planned from1:30 to 3 p.m. All these events are to take place in the MCC meeting room.

Wednesday’s events will conclude with an “Art as Revolution” exhibit at the Women’s Center at 7 p.m. The exhibit’s organizers intended it to be a time for people to express their feelings about sexual assault by designing a T-shirt and contributing to the Clothesline Project.

The main event of the week is a Take Back the Night rally and march in Anisq’ Oyo’ Park at 5 p.m. on Thursday. The rally is scheduled to feature keynote speaker Margarita Alcantara-Tan, editor of Bamboo Girl ‘zine and a Queer Pilipina mestiza. The event is supposed to include performances by bands and dancers, as well as a self-defense demonstration. After the rally, a march through Isla Vista is scheduled, followed by testimonials about sexual assault.

The week’s activities come to a close Friday with a Day of Reflection, during which counselors are should be available at the Women’s Center from 12 p.m. to 2 p.m.

“Our Day of Reflection is a time for people who have come to our events, or not, to discuss how they feel about their involvement or reactions to what went on,” Meredith Donin, senior English major and co-chair of Take Back the Night said. “It is a time for people to make connections, to unwind, to share some of their emotions after attending really powerful events such as our safe spaces, march and testimonials.”