The Queer Student Union is working to raise money to send 35 students to the University of California Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transgender Intersex Association conference later this month in Riverside.

The conference, which runs Feb. 21 through 23, features over 60 different programs covering topics ranging from queer psychology to political organization. Celebrity guests and scholars also will speak and perform at the event, titled “Coming Home Queer.”

“The conference benefits everyone because those students that go can then come back and share what they’ve learned, educating all of us,” said QSU secretary Nelson Maltez, a fifth-year sociology major.

On Wednesday, QSU hopes to sell at least 100 dozen Krispy Kreme doughnuts at three locations on campus: in front of both the UCen and Women’s Center, and near the Arbor. The doughnuts are $8 per dozen.

“Things are going okay so far but we are really expecting the most from the Krispy Kreme,” QSU Adviser Jack Rivas said.

QSU already raised some money, which it plans to use for transportation to Riverside and lodging costs there, on Jan. 27 at Ruby’s Diner in Paseo Nuevo. Patrons could present a coupon donating 20 percent of their bill to QSU.

Although the fundraiser did fairly well, QSU co-chair Kiely Hosmon said they are still a long way from their goal. Because of budget cuts this year, the group has suffered severely.

“There was just more money available last year,” said Hosmon, a sophomore women’s studies major.

Still, the support from different organizations and departments like the Residence Hall Association and the Resource Center for Sexual and Gender Diversity has helped immensely, she said.

QSU is planning other fund-raising projects before the conference and is considering a beach cleanup day.

To make donations or place doughnut orders for Wednesday’s fundraiser, contact Kyle Richards by e-mail at .