With the recall a distant memory from 2002, 3rd District Supervisor Gail Marshall is now focused on plans for the remainder of her term.

The vote to recall Marshall, which took place Nov. 5 of last year, ended with 53 percent of the votes in favor of keeping Marshall in office until the end of her term in 2004. Marshall’s office said campaigning had an impact on Marshall’s ability to perform in 2002, but she was still able to achieve some of her goals – many of which pertained to Isla Vista.

“Gail continued to provide leadership and keep focused on important issues, but the recall was a distraction,” Marshall’s Executive Staff Assistant Mark Chaconas said. “Some of the things we were able to accomplish aren’t very dramatic, but they are sustainable improvements,” he said.

Many of these improvements dealt with repairing the aging construction throughout I.V. One such project resurfaced nearly every road in I.V. Another project focused on improving beach access by adding stainless steel railings and lengthening the long-term life of the structures. Another issue is the continued development of the I.V. Master Plan, a redevelopment project to improve the housing, infrastructure, transportation and other aspects of the community.

“Getting the I.V. plan initiated was probably the biggest project for I.V., and we’re currently spending a lot of funds updating the plan,” Chaconas said.

Plans to further improve I.V. also include installing additional emergency “blue” phones, and the building of a centrally located public bathroom.

Also linked to the Master Plan is a proposal to implement a parking permit plan throughout I.V., which would not only charge a fee for temporary parking, but for permanent residential parking as well. Whether such a system will solve the problem has become an issue.

“There is a lack of parking for the residents and a parking permit program is not going to fix that,” IVRPD board member Diane Conn said. “How much will it cost, who will enforce it and whether or not we can get some of that money back into I.V. are all issues that need to be discussed.”

Concerning the county as a whole, Chaconas said Marshall is focused on issues like the state’s current budget crisis.

“Clearly the federal and state budget crisis is something that’s going to capture our attention,” Chaconas said. “Addressing and understanding everything that Gov. Davis has proposed is important.”

Chaconas said Marshall is also interested in finding a solution to the county’s trash problem. Currently the county’s landfills are at 60 percent capacity, prompting efforts to find more efficient ways of recycling and diverting trash from the landfills.