The lights! The glamour! The… Danish butter cookies?

Despite the two-hour’s drive from Hollywood, there’s no business like show business in Goleta’s small, windmill-laden neighbor to the north, Solvang.

Comedian D.L. Hughley and NBC Studios are in talks to develop a sitcom set in the Danish-themed village of Solvang. Hughley, who owns a ranch in Santa Ynez, came up with the idea for the new show – presently referred to with the working title “Solvang” – hoping to write, produce and eventually star in the show. The comic, formerly of the UPN sitcom “The Hughleys,” has also appeared in the shows like “The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air,” “Sister, Sister” and “The Parkers.”

Confirmed by an NBC source who declined to give a name, the show will center on an African-American urbanite who moves to Solvang with his family and Latino caretaker to open a bed and breakfast. NBC Studios has not made any announcements regarding the date of its debut.

Stephan Nelson owns the Royal Copenhagen Shop, the oldest Danish business in downtown Solvang. He said the idea of the show, which he likened to “Green Acres,” has created positive chatter among Solvang residents.

“My only concern is that the show might make locals out to be real hicks,” Nelson said. “That’s the consensus of the town.”

Referring to the yokel-like manner of the characters on the sitcom “Green Acres,” Nelson said he does not favor the comparison of the Danes of Solvang to the hicks of Hooterville. Nelson said the predominantly Danish community already has a colorful personality and big names, suggesting that NBC could write a show about the existing Solvang crowd.

Asked what the show would do for business, Nelson anticipated no harm to his shop, which sells high-end Danish imports.

“Whether it’s good publicity or bad publicity, it’s all publicity,” he said.

But Santa Ynez resident John Bowen isn’t so sure that all publicity would be beneficial for Solvang.

“Any TV show using the name of a city that involves tourism is unfair to the community. The image of the town would be in the hands of a script.”

Bowen attended the Solvang City Council meeting Jan. 13 to propose that council members look into a possible trademark or copyright of the Danish village’s name in order to protect the town.

Solvang Mayor Beverly Russ said the issue is not resolved among council members.

“No one in council uttered a word or asked a question about it,” she said.

Bowen also said the members of the affected community should decide whether the show is in the best interest of the town.

“Comedies tend to make light of things,” he said. “Any TV show can portray something any which way.”

But Bowen said he is not completely opposed to Solvang’s potential translation to the small screen, saying he likes the idea if the show turns out to be in the best interest of the town.

Stay tuned to see if the Danes of “Solvang” make the airwaves.