Around 100 people gathered at the downtown SOhO nightclub on Sunday to spread a message of peace through the power of song.

Students 4 Peace sponsored the late-night event, which began at 6 p.m. and ended around 1 a.m., and featured a large mix of bands and solo artists. SOhO, located at 1221 State St., showcased music from upbeat funk to soft alternative. Performances included Crosby Loggins, Rigsby, Catfish Charlie and Yo Mango.

“Shows like this are about exposing the public to great music while promoting activism and participation in the peace movement,” said Carter Yarbrough, the event’s organizer. “I don’t believe that militarism is just, and we need to be peace leaders as we are the number one power in the world.”

Solo artists and members of the featured bands and said they feel largely the same way. Singer/songwriter and former UCSB student Kirstin Candy felt the event was an important means for spreading support for peace and taking a clear stand against war.

“I don’t believe in putting any forces into Iraq,” Candy said. “War never solves problems; instead it just perpetuates fear.”

Yarbrough, a SBCC student, is the founder of the nonprofit organization Students 4 Peace and said he is currently trying to gather funding in order to nationalize the group. Doing so would provide greater support from the government in the organization and funding of future events, he said.

The concert coincided with Saturday’s Peace Congress 2003, a local rally to inform and involve the public in the peace movement. Around 4,000 people gathered downtown on a closed-off State Street as speakers rallied and discussions were held. Several local bands also played in De La Guerra Plaza.

The next Students 4 Peace event is on Saturday, Jan. 25 at the Mercury Lounge.