Isla Vista may be in store for some new and improved housing after this evening’s meeting of the Project Area Committee and General Plan Advisory Committee.

The PAC/GPAC was formed in September 2001 to review the proposed I.V. master plan, which was developed by Opticos Design. The plan includes improvements to I.V.’s sidewalks, streets, housing and parking. The meeting tonight, the second in a two-day series, will focus on alternative housing options to improve the appearance of and living conditions in I.V.

Last night, representatives from Opticos Design presented three new housing designs to the committee and received public comment on the designs. Daniel Parolek, an Opticos designer, said the main issues for housing in I.V. are the price and intended residents of the proposed housing.

At tonight’s meeting the committee will discuss affordability, parking and implementation of the proposed housing designs.

Previous meetings of the PAC/GPAC have focused on traffic, parking and transportation as well as the I.V.-UCSB interface.

The PAC/GPAC panel includes representatives from the I.V. Association, I.V. Property Owners Association, I.V. Youth Projects, I.V. Tenants Union, Storke Ranch Association, UCSB Associated Students, UCSB Graduate Student Association, I.V. Teen Center and Santa Barbara Housing Cooperative. Also on the committee are one tenant, two business owners and one residential owner.

The meeting will be held tonight at the University Religious Center, 777 Camino Pescadero at 6:00 p.m.